Making the healthy choice the easy choice
Richfield 2011 to 2013
Stay up-to-date with our progress: Sign up for our eNewsletter.
SHIP food demo at the Richfield Farmers Market with
In the community we are . . .
- Increasing resources
for fresh produce.
- SHIP-funded community gardens donated over one ton of produce in 2012 to local food shelves.
- Provided training and resources for gardening and to sustain community gardens.
- Organized community members to identify gaps and barriers for people having access to healthy, affordable food and then recommended improvements.
- Promoting the Richfield Farmers Market and improving access to the market for all residents.
- Supporting more opportunities for active transportation - like biking.
- Supported the City of Richfield in developing a Master Bike Plan which was adopted by the City Council in 2012. The plan includes new bike lanes and facilities that will make it easier for
Richfield residents to bike to schools, parks, businesses and other destinations.
- The City of Richfield adopted
a "Complete Streets" policy
giving Richfield's residents more
opportunities for physical
activity in their daily lives.
In schools we are . . .
- Sustaining SHIP-initiated nutrition and physical activity improvements.
- Accomplished, with administrators at Sheridan and Dual Language elementary schools, policies that help children develop healthy habits at an early age. Sheridan School adopted a no-birthday treats policy, and Richfield Dual Language School incorporated active classrooms and healthy
snacks in their Wellness Policy.
- Supporting further development and integration of schoolyard gardens for learning, health and physical activity.
In worksites we are . . .
- Collaborating with do.town to support a Worksite Wellness Coalition that engages employers to support healthy choices in the workplace.
Investing in the health of employees is one of the most important steps an employer can take to reduce healthcare costs and improve productivity. Employers participating in the Worksite Wellness Coalition receive a series of free consultations from a team of Blue Cross Blue Shield wellness experts. They also receive tools and templates to ensure success.
In healthcare we are . . .
- Partnering with health systems and clinics to promote healthy lifestyles and reduce heart disease. Our efforts target effectively treating high blood pressure and cholesterol and include the following:
- Using electronic health records and doctor reminder systems to provide better treatment and care management
- Improving coordination among health professionals involved in patients' care and follow-up
- Connecting clinics and patients with effective blood pressure and cholesterol self-management programs in the community
For more information, contact:
Bloomington Public Health Division
1900 West Old Shakopee Road, Bloomington, MN 55431
PH: 952-563-8900 V/TTY
Office hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Interpreters and transportation information are available upon request.